Manager, Royalty Services
LOS ANGELES, CA /ROYALTY SERVICES – ROYALTY SERVICES /FULL TIME
Stem exists to help artists navigate the business behind their music. We reduce complexity, create clarity and provide more opportunities for artists to exercise control over their finances. Artists and labels on our platform have clear visibility into their royalty income, and our insights empower them to decide for themselves how their hard-earned money flows. They can easily manage separations with collaborators or access artist-friendly advancements that scale their operations with no strings attached.
Our growing royalty services team solves the burden of royalty calculations for independent record labels and makes it easier for artists to predict, collect and manage what’s owed to them. We have years of experience creating intuitive financial tools for artists and labels and now we apply that expertise to one of the most time-consuming tasks in the music industry. When we are done, labels will have more information about their activity and artists will be paid on time. Trust us, it takes a lot of technology to make it look so simple.
We are looking for a Royalty Services Manager with a strong royalty background, a passion for music and an ability to make complex processes easy to understand. You’ll lead Royalty Services, our new platform for independent record labels in North America, and help us improve the lives of people who get paid through music.
This role is full-time and fully remote, with occasional face-to-face meetings for which we cover travel and accommodations for out-of-town employees.
Stem Disintermedia is led by a driven and collaborative team from diverse backgrounds, including senior professionals from Spotify, UTA, Hired and Apple Music. Our group of investors and strategic advisors includes former Venmo COO Michael Vaughan, Carta CEO Henry Ward, co-founder and COO of Quality Control Music (Cardi B, the Migos and Lil Yachty) Kevin “Coach K Lee, and QED Investors partner Frank Rotman.
Our employees include musicians, parents, activists, artists, etc. We are united by our shared values, our commitment to exceptional partnership, and our fierce belief in Stem’s mission.
what you gonna do
- Work with the Head of Royalty Services to further refine the current offering to existing and new clients
- Generate label and artist statements and record royalty and mechanical royalty payments, as well as track and allocate label revenue and costs
- Welcome new customers and support existing customers
- Be the escalation point for ad hoc customer requests. Produce reports, research, calculations and ad hoc analyzes according to client needs
- Ensure proper recording, collection and payment of all applicable fees and sources of revenue
- Help grow the Royalty Services team as the business scales
- Attend trainings and pipeline meetings as needed
- Represent Stem at industry events and conferences
- Mentor future members of our royalty services team
- Help independent labels stay independent by bringing fintech to music!
Our ideal candidate has
- 5+ years of royalty accounting experience
- Direct experience working in the music industry within a record label Working knowledge of royalty processing and how they work and ability to interpret music contracts
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to translate and communicate music royalty information to product and other teams
- Experience with Curve, Record Maestro or other royalty accounting software
- A team player as well as a successful individual artist
- Ability to work cross-functionally with external individuals/teams of different personalities and working styles
It’s a bonus if you have:
- Provision of external royalty accounting or business management services to labels
- Passion for numbers and strong ability to solve problems
- Technologies/Systems/Software we use:
- Google workspace
- Royalty Account Systems (Curve / Record Maestro / Infinite Catalog)
- Google/Excel spreadsheets
- Other remote collaboration tools as needed
Don’t match all the skills listed? Almost no one does! Do you think you’re a good fit anyway? Please let us know.
- Competitive compensation including equity for all full-time employees.
- We maintain salary bands for all careers to ensure fair wages across the company.
- 100% of premiums covered for employee medical, dental and vision care (60% for dependents)
- Business 401(k) matches up to 4%.
- Unlimited paid leave
- Life insurance
- Student Loan Repayment Program
- Excellent parental leave policies
**Stem is an equal opportunity employer, and more than that, actively strives to build and nurture a diverse, inclusive and equitable team. We celebrate differences and select shared values over cultural fit. We are committed to providing employees with a work environment free from discrimination and harassment.**